Sunday, July 26, 2009

Not sure what I was expecting

But this isn't it! I think I thought that when they told us that my dad had 6 months to live, that we would have had more time with him as we knew him before than I think we are going to have. I guess I thought that he wasn't that bad when he came home from the hospital, but after several visits over there, I feel that that may not be the case. Maybe I am just naive, but I guess I thought things would be somewhat normal (as it could be) for a little bit before it got bad and maybe this is as normal as it could be, but this is just not what I was expecting. Maybe this is just what I was hoping for and had convinced myself would happen to help me get through the moment, but now I am seeing that he is not the same person as he was a few weeks ago and how could he be really?? Guess I was just not expecting to see this much deterioration this fast. Not sure this makes any sense, but these are just some feelings I have been struggling with this evening after spending some time over there today and thinking back on my past few visits.

7 comments:

  1. Amy, did you get my email about my friends Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anything related to your Dad will go as you expect it. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I am Theresa's sister and an oncology nurse. Sometimes the level of the disease is such that is takes a lot of energy on the person to just function on the basic level. So the other 'normal' activites take a back seat to breathing. The cancer itself can cause 'paraneoplastic syndromes' that can alter basic electrolytes, clotting functions and thinking processes. The time for change is different for every person. Some people decline more quickly than others. Unfortunately, this is not an exact science and we can give time frames but where a person will fall within that time frame is really very subjective and fluid. Please let me know if you have any other questions - 281-894-8822.
    Take videos now and allow him to share what he wants to share. Just letting your dad know that you are there means so much.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. No good advice or words unfortunately, just to let you know that I am here for you and all of your family is in my prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any advice or words of wisdom either, but I love you & I'm praying for you. Keep on writing to us - it's so healthy for you, it helps us know how to pray for you & who knows which of us will have to go through something hard next & we may draw on your experience. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all of your kind words and prayers. Joan- I may give you a call if you don't mind. I think might help to have someone to talk to who knows about this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The number is my office phone, I am there 8:30 to 5pm. I'd be happy to talk to you - Joan

    ReplyDelete